Welcome to Making Money My Way! Today I want to share with you an interview I did with Carolyn McCubbin. She works full-time doing various apps to make extra money! She doesn’t have an employer. All of these “jobs” she does are 1099. She works whenever she wants and makes more than she did as an ACCOUNTANT! This is how she did it:
What app do you use to make money?
Which app is your favorite and why?
Lyft is my favorite because the clients tip the most, and I get longer rides with Lyft than I do with Uber. Also, I like talking to people. This is a fun way to meet new people and hear their stories. If you’re more of an introvert, you might want to consider doing a different app to make money.
Which app makes you the most money?
Lyft. The average ride pays about $9. This varies depending on how much the customer tips, if at all. Usually for $9 the ride is shorter, so you make $9 pretty quick.
How many hours do you work in a day?
Whenever I feel like working, I usually do 2 hours in the morning and 2.5 after lunch. Obviously the more you work, the more you make.
Do you feel you make more money than having a day job?
No, I feel like I make more. After tips and my tax breaks, I definitely make more doing these than having a day job. Plus all of the added benefits I get with working for these apps is better than a day job.
What are the benefits of working for these apps?
- Schedule Flexibility
- Pays better than a day job
- No stress job
- I can wear whatever I want to “Work”
- You can take as many breaks as you want
- You get to listen to music all day
- I get to hear really cool stories and meet new people
- I don’t have a boss
- I don’t have project deadlines
- I can go on Vacation whenever I want, don’t have to request time off
- Never miss a birthday or a celebration.
- Wait in the comfort of your home until you get a ride
- Don’t need to go to the big cities to get work
- I can go places when it’s not as busy and when it’s more convenient
What do you miss about having a day job?
- You don’t make friends doing these apps. You don’t usually see the same person more than once.
- Company Christmas parties.
- What is hard about doing these apps to make money?
- You have to stand up for your job, and when people ask if I want to go back to accounting, I tell them no, because I make more doing the apps than I did there. But it is a constant people if I do this part-time or full-time and they “feel bad for me”.
How much do you think you make after a month of working (on average 8 hours a day)?
I would say I make about $3,750 a month doing these apps, which is about $23 an hour.