Hey there! I’m assuming you’ve stopped by because just like the other 44 million people looking for a side hustle to make some extra income, especially during the holidays. If that applies to you, then you’ve come to the right place! Here at Making Money My Way we only recommend things I’ve PERSONALLY TRIED. I’m not here to get referral bonuses, I’m too looking for ways to quit the 9-5 and work online. So I’m just documenting my adventures and share with you, what does and does not work!
This post may contain affiliate links. Read more about affiliate links on our disclosure page.
How Instacart Works:
- You sign up using this link. After you sign up and download the app, you have to wait about 5 business days to get your debit card in the mail before you can go shopping
- Once you get your debit card, you enter your card information in the app. (You can’t start shopping until you’ve done this.)
- Next, you schedule your delivery date and time! Instacart will pay you more if you’re working during peak times like Saturday mornings.
- When your shirt starts, it will automatically start when it hits that time. For example, I started at 9 a.m. and wasn’t able to start any earlier. I just waited on the app until the time clocked over. Once 9 a.m. hit, the app looked for orders, and told me to go to a Smith’s to start shopping!
- Once you get to the location, (mine was Smiths), you start shopping! On the app, you will receive the shopping list. The shopping list will be organized for you by aisle to make your life easier when shopping.
- If you are scanning items and you can’t find the exact item the customer was looking for, you will scan a similar product, it will send it to the customer for approval. If the customer doesn’t approve the substitutions by the time you’re ready to checkout, you will need to call them and go over the items over the phone.
- When you get to the checkout, if they have a rewards card, it will have you scan it for them (This way the customer gets rewards). You will checkout using the debit card you received in your welcome packet.
- When using the debit card, you will want to charge it as credit because there isn’t a pin number associated with the card.
- After you’ve paid for the groceries you will deliver them to the customer. You will check off that you’ve paid for the groceries and the app will give you the customers address. Google maps will take you to their home, and you give them to the customer.
It’s pretty easy and pretty fun!
Instacart Shopper App
If you’d like to see a video on how to schedule hours with Instacart, you can watch it here:
Benefits of Instacart:
- You get to walk around and get some exercise. The benefit of doing this verse other options like Doordash or Grubhub is that you’re getting some exercise while getting paid! If you’re like me and you sit at a desk all day this is a nice way to walk around a little and get paid!
- You don’t have to waste gas driving around. With Doordash you can go through a whole tank of gas pretty quick by driving around all day.
- The pay is pretty decent, I make an average of $20 an hour.
- You don’t need a newer car to work for them. Some companies require you to have a newer car to work with them, with Instacart, they don’t care what kind of car you have which is nice for those that have older cars.
- You get. a $3 bonus for each 5 star review you get!
Concerns with Instacart:
With everything, there are pro’s and concerns. These were my concerns with Instacart:
- First thing I didn’t like, was that you have to schedule your shift in advance. I personally like going when I have free time and sometimes I don’t know when that will be! So this was hard for me. If you like schedules are you stick to it, this could work for you. I had to schedule my shift 1 week in advance to be able to shop in the county I live in.
- The second concern is that when the store doesn’t have an item and you get the customer an alternative, you have to get their approval before purchasing it. If they haven’t approved the items already on the app, you will need to call them and sometimes this can be awkward. I personally don’t like talking on the phone, so this was uncomfortable.
- If you had to replace any items that the customer wanted, you need to call them first to make sure they want this item. If they don’t answer, you need to call customer support so they can try and get ahold of the customer. I had to do this during one run, and it took their support over 5 minutes to answer. Once they did answer, it took them less than 2 minutes to approve the transaction and let me checkout. If you have replacement items it will make you call the customer before allowing you to checkout. So this is a step you HAVE to do and sometimes it can be more of a pain.
- You don’t always get orders even if you’ve scheduled a time with them. Don’t be surprised if you spend some of your time sitting in a parking lot. Make sure you bring something to keep you busy during the slow times.
What is the Pay with Instacart:
Now, what most of you care about! The pay! It ranges between $15-$20 an hour depending on how fast you are. (I average $20 an hour) Obviously, the first time you go might be less because you’re still figuring out how the app works. Once you have that down, it goes by quicker which makes you more $ per hour. (My second trip, I made $26 in 45 minutes!!)
How you get paid with Instacart:
With Instacart you will get paid every Friday vis direct deposit.
How does the Instacart Debit Card work?
I get a lot of questions about how the Instacart debit card works. The debit card is linked to Instacarts bank account. Not yours. You do not have to put money on this card to use it. Instacart takes care of all of that. Once you get the debit card, you simply activate your account and schedule a time to go shopping!
So what is it like to be a Instacart driver? Sometimes it’s stressful, I won’t lie. You make more money if you are fast, and sometimes being fast can stress you out because you can’t find a product fast enough. For me, this doesn’t happen too often. Most stores are organized enough, that the app will tell you what isle all the products are on. When you’re lucky enough to have this, it’s really easy to be in-and-out within 20 minutes.
When you’re able to finish a job within 20 minutes, you’re able to make a lot of money really quickly! I had a job a few weeks ago, took me about 30 minutes total including the drive to the store, and I made $20. I was able to do 2-3 deliveries within 2 hours! This is a great way to make extra money with your car. I would recommend this to my friends.
Overall, It pays pretty well for your time! I would recommend it to any family or friends that are. looking to make extra income. It’s a great way to get some exercise and make some extra money during hard times!
The app is easy to use, and they organize the foods by where they are located in the store. Usually it will tell you exactly what isle the item is in, making you spend less time searching!
I’ve learned that the more you do it, the easier and faster you become. Don’t get stressed the first time you go, if you’re worried, take a friend with you! That is what I did. I got my friend to come with me to figure out the app and how everything works.
Nervous because of the unknown? Watch this Youtube video to help you understand how everything actually works! It definitely calms your nerves you when you know what to expect.
This is a video that will show you start to finish what it’s like going shopping with Instacart!
Instacart Driver Download
That’s all I have for you guys! I hope this article helps you decide if this is something you’d be interested in. If you have any questions or concerns, please comment below and I will get back to you!